Sunday, October 12, 2014

Teaching from the bleachers

Recently, I found myself sharing my "Mindcraft" experience to 25 very interested educators.  As I was talking about my ups and downs, successes and failures I came to an observation I had made earlier in the week.  It occurred to me that I am teaching from the bleachers.  I was a mere observer of the students performing in the classroom.  This could easily be taken the wrong way.  If my administrators heard, they would be having walk-throughs a every day or even every hour.

When I say "teaching from the bleachers", you might have visions of students at their seats filling in meaningless worksheets while I vigorously grade a pile of equally meaningless worksheets.  This is not the case.

My ultimate goal for my students is to create independent learners.  Students who can be given a task and accomplish it.  They don't need someone to point them in the right direction.  They have the skills, tools, and resources to complete a task and do it with fidelity.

I have taught them how to use the technology to their advantage effectively and safely.  Using search engines designed for their age, tools allowing them to collaborate with other students, they are able to problem solve and conquer.

I get to view all of this from afar getting authentic assessments of their growth.  I am no longer the focus of their learning.  I am merely a facilitator.  I bring the problems, they bring the solutions.  I give them a task and sit back to watch the magic happen.  In reality, I am able to pull students for individual help and focus on missing or lagging skills.  This is a result of Mindcraft.  My kids' motivation is strong enough to challenge them to do it all themselves.  They don't need or want me to show them the way.  They are in charge of their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment